Monday, November 9, 2009

Too Busy To Talk


This is Chelsea. She is BUSSSSY! She doesn't have time to stop and tell you about what's going on around here lately, so I guess that leaves me to do it!

Chelsea and I went to see her new doctor. I really dislike getting her a new doctor. We have Chelsea on an alternative vaccination schedule. I know there are many people who have opinions on all sides of the spectrum when it comes to vaccinating, but after researching, reading, and praying, we felt this was right for Chelsea right now. I LOVE doctors and I am a very strong supporter of vaccines, but getting a new doctor, explaining what we've done and our reasoning, and not knowing the doctor's stance on our decision is not fun. Luckily our doctor was really informative, empathetic, and supportive. We found out Chelsea's percentiles while we were there:

Weight: 33%

Height: 90%

Head: 90%

So she's tall, skinny, and has a big head. Well the head she got from me but I don't know about the rest of her. It's been tough doing clothes shopping for her because she's way too skinny for the next size up but way too tall for her size. Hmmmmm....

This week Matt's been SO BUSY with work. Chelsea got to see him in the morning before he went to work but he was out the door at 7 and sometimes not home until 10:30 ish. He works so hard and we're so happy that he has so much work to do. We sure miss him though.

This weekend Matt's office gave us tickets to the LA Kings game. Neither of us are huge hockey fans, but we decided it would be a good family outing so we went. It was pretty fun! The Kings lost, but it was a fun atmosphere and it was fun to look around downtown LA. We went to LA Live, which was built by Matt's company. We had a good time being together as a family.

Chelsea has been so darling lately. Every night we read scriptures together as a family. Matt has a bookmark in his scriptures that is a picture of Jesus. Chelsea will reach out her hand and ask for it (asking means grunting) and when daddy gives it to her she says, "Chejus" and gives it a kiss and a hug. It is so darling. Especially because she hasn't really figured out kisses for anyone else yet, just Jesus. Oh it melts my heart.
Chelsea's favorite new things to say are "uh-oh" (that one makes her laugh histarically), yellow, purple, apple, socks (sockies), and shoes of course which is now "choos". She talks and talks all day, but those are the words we can for sure decipher. She's so fun right now. We are just loving her to pieces.
One of Chelsea's other favorite words is "Melmo" (Elmo). My sister Devee gave her a big elmo stuffed animal before she left on her mission and Chelsea LOVES IT. Because I was a family studies major and studied the effects of television on children, I always swore my kids weren't going to watch it until they were two, but I have to admit that Chelsea watches Sesame Street on a pretty regular basis. I also have to admit that I don't feel bad about it at all. Her favorite on Sesame Street is Elmo. When Elmo's World comes on at the end of Sesame Street (I know all those parents out there have the song playing in their heads as they read this) Chelsea will get her "Melmo" toy and will dance with him to the song. She's in love. It's pretty darn cute. By the way, if you want a way to be inspired, check out my sister's mission blog at http://hermanachurchill.blogspot.com.
About a month ago we weaned Chelsers from breastfeeding. After all I went through to breastfeed I was definitely going to do it for a year, but never thought I would do it after that. When a year came it just wasn't the right time to stop, especially with all the moves, so I kept nursing her for a while longer. Once she was done nursing I thought I would feel a loss or some sort of sadness at not having that anymore, but I really didn't. I was so pleased that I worked so hard to feed her for that long and really felt fulfilled with the whole experience.
Chelsea has also finally started sleeping through the night on a regular basis and is putting herself to sleep. We didn't let her cry it out until one night where she was just too distracted by us to fall asleep. She had already made the transition to falling asleep in her bed, but still wanted us there while she fell asleep. That night we decided it was better to let her cry so she could get some sleep. She cried for half an hour and she was done. After that time every time we put her down and leave she will cry out, but then goes right to bed. It's such a difference from when we tried cry it out when she was younger. She cried for the longest time and cried so hard that she would choke on her cries. We decided not to do cry it out again, but now that she's older it was just the right time FOR HER. I have read so many sleep books it would make your head spin. It has definitely been our biggest challenge so far. But now looking back I really wish that I would have just trusted my instincts for Chelsea. We knew when it was not right for her to be crying it out and we knew when it was time to start letting her do it on her own (although Matt took a little bit longer knowing than I did :) ) I'm glad I had this experience to learn that no matter what the book says and what experts tell you, each little one is different and being that child's mother makes YOU the expert in the situation. I'm also so glad I had so many caring friends who used cry it out and so many caring friends who didn't use cry it out. I felt that I had so much support for what I was feeling and for what method we felt was right for Chelsea at different times this last year.
One other thing I have done recently is change my blog. I have been blogging at http://sensiblesavings.blogspot.com/ about what I have learned about frugal living and the deals I've found. I really wanted to have a journal/outlet to remember this time in my life where I'm making the transition to be a full time mom, so I'm now blogging about this and other things on my mind at http://fromofficetohome.blogspot.com/. Check it out sometime.
Well congratulations. You've made it to the end. :) Have a good week everyone!

6 comments:

Josh said...

I definitely want to go to your house for Thanksgiving. I will just check with Josh tonight and let you know for sure tomorrow. However, I definitely want to do my part with the food. There are a few side dishes that I don’t think that Josh can live without and I have a pie that is to die for. But I can do anything that you need and more. You make the assignments and I will comply happily!
It is good that you are so sensitive to the individual needs of your baby. You are an example to me, especially how you go to prayer to make so many decisions. As you probably know, I had sleep struggles with Jif too. Not as bad as Chels, probably, but struggles in their own. I didn’t feel comfortable with the crying-it-out approach either. It probably would have worked eventually, but my heart would have broken even if Jif’s was fine. I really liked the book that I went with. It had you check on them after 5 minutes, then 10, then 15 minute intervals and reassure them with your voice but not touch them. It probably wouldn’t work for a lot of kids, but it worked for us because like you said, every baby is an individual. Doesn’t it feel great to sleep again?

X said...

Chelsea is growing so fast, I can't believe all the words she's saying! Her proportions are the opposite of Isabelle's. Chelsea is tall and skinny, but Isabelle is a short little chunk! I have to put her in capri pants or hem every pair of pants I buy her :)

My life in a blog said...

What a great post for me to catch up on your little one! You remind me a lot of myself! It took me a while to realize I can do things the way I feel are best for my children!! :) And I'm just curious, but where did you get your info on vaccines? Alana received all scheduled vaccines, but I'm not sure I want to do that w/ Charlotte.

Carrie and Tyson said...

Amen! I agree with just about everything you said about child raising - the sleep issues, the breastfeeding, listening to advice, but then doing what's right for your child, etc. I feel like we just had a really good chat at work. Miss you!

Camille Churchill said...

You have 27 cousins? Did you count your siblings as cousins or am I missing some?

Melanie said...

You're right! I counted my siblings! I only have 22 cousins.