Thursday, July 10, 2008

Here's to a Great Husband

So I was reading an article the other day about the ten things moms didn't expect when having a baby. One of the things was that your relationship with your partner changes. The article indicated that many couples aren't very connected anymore and are constantly frustrated and upset at each other. That article is what inspired this post.

The other night Matt came come from working ten hours to find me practically in tears and Chelsea nearly screaming. Typically Chelsea is an ideal baby who only cries when she's hungry, poopy, or just needs a little cuddling but since we've started back with breastfeeding there have been a couple times where she is just inconsolable and we have to keep working with her to get her to latch on or give her a bottle of pumped breastmilk. When my husband saw me so upset he took little Chelsea to help calm her down, got her a bottle, got me some food since I hadn't really eaten in hours, and tried to console me. He then went to two stores to get me some things I needed and to get me two kinds of ice cream.

Marriage isn't perfect, and we definately have more challenges now that we have added another Velasquez to our mix, but I can't help but feel so much more love for Matt today than I did before Chelsea was here. There's something so powerful about working together to create a life and to help that person grow into her best self. I'm so grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who gives meaning to all of the hard times and comfort in them through the atonement. I'm so grateful that my family is eternal and that there is eternal significance to our family relationships. Having a husband who can sense my need for ice cream is just the icing on the cake.

4 comments:

NessaAnn said...

I agree, to be loved at our most weak and needful is the greatest kind of love to receive. I think that is partly how children draw husband and wife together in such a tight bond, for we are so weak and so humbled by our experiences that we need each other. We learn to lift one another, and accept lifting, in turn. I want to kiss your husband on the cheek for being so good to you! Mel, don't forget that all mothers have gone through the challenges of new motherhood just like you are, and we love you and support you and pray for you. You WILL make it! Just hang on! Also, a helpful statistic I once read somewhere: supposedly your hormone levels drop like 100,000% the six weeks after the baby is born... so you are totally justified in the occasional hormonally induced emotional breakdown. Might as well revel in it while you've got an excuse! :c) It really is the period from heck! In fact, you should go have another bowl of ice cream to congratulate yourself just for making it through today. That's what I would do. V

Morrison Family said...

I agree with Vannessa!! And you are doing great!! We love you!!

Crystal said...

This is so sweet. And you know it's TRUE love if there's ice cream in involved.
:)

Sarah and Mark said...

Melanie, I loved your post. After Adriana was born I think I cried everyday for 2 weeks because I felt so blessed to have a baby and a great husband. It's hard to explain how a baby increased my love for Mark, but it's true. Way to be positive and see the beauty of a family even when the tiring times come. She is adorable and I love the pictures!