Wednesday, February 24, 2010

December

December was a month of BIG changes in our family...which is part of the reason I haven't been as good at updating our blog. In the beginning of December we were surprised to find out we are expecting a baby. We are due the beginning of August and we are SO excited.

A week after we found out that I am expecting, we found out that Matt was being transferred to a job in San Diego. As an estimator in the Costa Mesa office his commute was about 15 minutes in the morning and his hours were pretty regular. He left around 7 in the morning and came home around 5:30. Now he is working on a job that is very busy and has a small staff. They are working on the addition to the military jail at Miramar in San Diego. Because of the small staff and the status of the job he's working long hours. On top of that his commute has become MUCH longer. It now takes him an hour and a half to get to work. Usually he leaves at about 6 in the morning and doesn't get home until around 9:30. A couple of nights he's worked so late that he has just slept down in San Diego. We miss having him around. It has been stressful to say the least - especially since our family only has one car. In some parts of the country this isn't a problem and is even the norm; but since we don't have the best public transportation system it makes it hard. I have definitely had to learn how to let other people serve me and I have been surprised at how many people willingly have without being asked. I have such amazing friends here. We really have been blessed through this. We are hoping to find out in the next month or so if we will be moving to San Diego or if Matt will be transferred to a different job.

About a week after Matt started commuting such a long way I started to get really sick. To the point that I couldn't stop throwing up - even with nothing in my system. I had to stay in the hospital nearly all day when I was six weeks along getting IVs because I was so dehydrated . They thought I may have Hyperemesis, but I was very fortunate and that part of the sickness did not stay around long term. I still had problems with sickness and occasionally I still will, but it's not nearly as bad as it was. My doctor said the intense sickness was likely due to the initial rush of hormones I got at six weeks. My body just couldn't handle it. Matt stayed home for one day, but we knew it couldn't be long term so my sweet parents made arrangements for Chelsea and I to come up to Seattle for Christmas a little earlier so that they could help take care of us.

Christmas this year was fantastic! We went to Seattle to visit my family. Everyone was there except for my sister who is serving a mission for our church in Argentina. We had so much fun - especially watching Chelsea and her cousin Lily, who is only two months younger. We also really enjoyed meeting our new niece Sukai. She's my brother Aaron and my sister-in-law Yuka's new addition. She was born in September and this is the first time we've met her. She is DARLING. It really is true - Christmas is so much better with little ones.

Our December really has changed our lives in many ways. They have been ways that we are still struggling to get used to. But the highlight of that month was celebrating the birth of our Savior Jesus Christ. Being a mom (and becoming a mom again) has given me so much more appreciation for the sacrifice our Heavenly Father made in sending his PERFECT son to die for me, a very imperfect person. He really must love me. And though I don't always understand why, I am forever grateful for that love. Being so sick has also given me such an appreciation for all that our Savior suffered for us. I know that he truly suffered all things - pain, sickness, inadequacy, and even sin so that we could come home and so that we can experience all that our Father in Heaven has in store for us. How grateful we are in trying times that this truth never changes. I don't know where we would be without it.

We are so blessed.

Here are some fun pictures from our December adventures -



Another reason why I LOVE where we live. The Tustin police department have a "sleigh" that they hitch to the back of a truck with Santa and Mrs. Clause on it. Through the month of December they ride down all the streets in Tustin to greet kids and give them a candy cane. Santa came down our street on December 2nd. Chelsea didn't really know what to think about him and definitely did not want to sit on his lap.

On December 12th Chelsea turned 18 months old. In our church that means you get to go to nursery instead of all the boring adult classes. This is Chelsea on the morning of her first day at nursery. Matt was so proud...and so sad. What a cute daddy.

Our California Christmas. We unwrapped presents and ate Pan (kind of like fruit cake but better - Matt had it in Peru for Christmas and was so excited to find a similar product at Costco) and hot chocolate the day before Chelsea and I left for Seattle

Riding the merry go round at Seattle Center

My brother Allen and his wife Candace with the lady. They look good with a little one don't you think? :)

Chelsea giving a hug to her birthday friend Hannah Miley

My sister Marina holding Aaron and Yuka's daughter Sukai

Chelsea and Lily with Aunt Squirrel - our name for Aunt Devee. They were pretty distraught that it was just a stuffed animal and not the real Aunt Squirrel.

Chelsea's first experience with the Christmas Eve pinata, a Churchill family tradition

Chelsea checking out her presents on Christmas morning

My brother Michael with his wife Dani and daughter Lily on Christmas morning

Chelsea and Lily cooking in the kitchen

All bundled up and ready to go

In Seattle we have this huge stone troll under a bridge. We decided to finally go see it. Here are my brother Michael and Matt with the two little ones.

Gotta love Pike Place Market. There is nothing that says Seattle more than that.

This avocado was HUGE!

Years and years ago a tile floor was put into Pike Place and my grandparents purchased one for their name to be engraved on. For as long as I can remember we would always look for that tile whenever we went to Pike Place. My brother Michael found it! It was a great day.

If you go to Seattle you have to feed the seagulls at Ivaar's on the pier. Chelsea LOVED it.

Riding the fairy from Seattle to Bainbridge Island

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

CONGRATS!! I know how feel only have one vehicle it makes it so hard! We are also in an area that it is really impossible for me to get anywhere without a car of my own. I walk Shannon to the bus in the morning and then Emma to preschool on Tuesday and Thursday mornings (luckily preschool is in our neighborhood) then Tuesdays and Thursdays I walk and get Shannon at the bus- I have a great friend who picks up Shannon three days out of the week for me. It's hard with three kids to do anything and I don't mind too much as I wouldn't want to make outings too often with three kids in tow but sometimes it's very inconvenient so I know how you feel. I am lucky however to have nearby family that I can occasionally rely on. I hope you are feeling better! Love the picture of Chelsea and her friend Hannah Miley :).

Dani said...

YAY! We were wondering when this announcement was going to be official. Can't wait for our new neice/nephew. Love the cousin pictures, especially with Lily bawling. I try to talk to Lily about Chelsea, but I'm not so sure she remembers. Sad. Guess that means we need to see you soon.

Kim said...

Congrats on being Pregnant, that is so exciting!!! I hope things get easier with Matt's work.

Josh said...

I miss you too too much. When can I see you again. It’s not fair that we can be so close, yet so far away.